Sunday, October 26, 2008

Elvira!

The invite was both pleasantly unexpected and not entirely understood.

I know that camp has ruled many a day in the lives of gays and lesbians since the word "camp" was bastardized into it's current meaning in the sub culture lexicon. A few examples:


As Defined by John Schmor, PhD: Camp is Failed Seriousness. To the extremes on both sides usually defines certain aspects of camp. It is not ONLY in relation to Gay Sensibilities, but it plays a heavy part in what camp is recognized as. Mind you, not only Gays can create camp nor are they the only ones who recognize it, it is merely an easy way for Gay sensibilities to be defined because we must hide ourselves from society to the length that we can only bring out those innermost feelings in a "campy" scenario.

Camp is cross dressing in a Freudian slip. Camp is Laughing at The Importance of Being Earnest and not knowing why. Camp is laughing at the Importance of Being Earnest and knowing why.

and:


1. the tragically ludicrous; or

2. the ludicrously tragic.

Camp is like when a clown dies.

God bless the folks at urbandictionary.com! That second one is my favorite. But only because I have dressed-on more than one gay Christmas, I mean Halloween-in a Freudian Slip, an idea stolen from Meg Ryan in DOA.

So the reason the invite was unexpected was that it was to the closing night of the Seattle Gay and Lesbian Film Festival. Or is it Lesbian and Gay? Regardless...the crux of the issue is that it was to watch the closing night movie: Elvira, Mistress of the Dark. Nary a Gay or Lesbian character in the film.

Now, I had seen this movie when it came out, then again at a party or some other function. But to sit down in a theater and expect to see one of my slightly post college year faves on the big screen again-priceless. To be in a theater to see the aforementioned movie and find out that the movie has been remastered for it's 20th anniversary-painful.

Nonetheless, my people excel at overcoming adversity, so there I sat with my favorite in person lesbian couple (sorry, Ellen and Portia might steal your thunder in a different reality, and Melissa Etheridge or the Indigo Girls in any reality...I'm only human) anxiously awaiting the remastered version amidst the Rocky Horror drop outs dressed for the occasion.

As smart as I think I am most of the time, I have to say that I got so much more of the movie this time. Time, time, time, look what's become of me...indeed. My most gratifying moment of the evening-scratch that, the second most gratifying moment-was when my friend Lisa kicked me as she realized one of my favorite movie quotes had just played out. Elvira hits her head and her attentive love interest asks her-so concerned-how her head is. Her response: I haven't had any complaints yet. Imagine my chagrin as I realized I had quoted the line correctly for 20 years but set the scene incorrectly. I may have to stay inside for a couple of hours until everyone forgets!

My favorite part of the evening? The autographed picture of Hers Truly and a totally unplanned photo op with the Mistress of the Dark.















I am no photographer, neither was this complete stranger that got roped into taking this pic, but imagine how awesome Elvira must look in person at 5-friggin-9 if you factor in this pic was taken on a camera phone. Then again, I look pretty good too...so take my word for it, she looked awesome!

No comments: